Getting Back to Work in NSW Hospitality

May 6, 2022
Getting Back to Work in NSW Hospitality

NSW hospitality venues have been open for several months now and live music festivals are finally back on the event calendar. If you’ve been out of the hospitality game since the onset of COVID19, this quick blog is a brush up on what you need to get back to work.

1. Responsible Service of Alcohol RSA

Do you have RSA? All NSW hospitality workers who serve or handle alcohol need a current RSA competency card. People like:

  • Bar stewards and drink attendants.
  • Cellar personnel.
  • Bottleshop cashiers and sales assistants.
  • Security guards and crowd controllers who work on licensed premises.
  • Door and reception staff on licensed premises.
  • Managers and supervisors on licensed premises.
  • Other employees of pubs, clubs, restaurants, and casinos who interact with patrons who are consuming alcohol.

Getting an RSA card involves a full day course (6 hours of training) with an approved training provider, then applying for your photocard with Service NSW.

Here are the steps in the RSA process:

  1. Complete RSA training course with an approved training provider like Vigil Training College.
  2. Get your RSA interim certificate.
  3. Gather ID documents to make 100 points.
  4. Visit a Service NSW Centre, in person.
  5. Wait for your RSA competency card to arrive in the mail.

Your RSA competency card needs to be renewed every 5 years. You’ll need to do an RSA refresher course and then renew your card online.

PLEASE NOTE: responsible service of alcohol training in Australia varies by state and territory. If you have a current RSA certificate that you completed in another state, you’ll need to do the NSW RSA Bridging course.

2. Responsible Conduct of Gambling RCG

Do you have RCG? Responsible Conduct of Gambling is a requirement for NSW hospitality personnel who work at casinos or on licensed premises where patrons are gambling.

The RCG training process is similar the Responsible Service of Alcohol and once completed, the certification is added to your RSA competency card.

DID YOU KNOW? You can be fined for working with an expired interim certificate (90 days) or an expired competency card (5 years). Expired RSA and RCG may also compromise your employment.

3. COVID19 Awareness

Since February 2022 hospitality workers and patrons at most NSW venues are no longer required to wear masks or be vaccinated. But there are still circumstances where you will need to show your vax card to get a job. These include:

  • Nightclubs and strip clubs.
  • Music festivals that accommodate crowds of more than 1,000 people.
  • Hospitality venues and outlets that operate at airports and cruise terminals.
  • Individual venues that have set their own COVID Safe conditions of entry and employment.

If you do intend working at any of the venues (or events) listed above, you may also be required to wear a mask during your shift and participate in COVID-19 Safe QR check-ins.

4. Personal Hygiene

Good personal hygiene has always been critical hospitality workers and it’s even more important since COVID19 has threatened the world’s health and safety. Here’s a quick refresher on personal hygiene essentials:


  • Sanitise your hands at the start of your shift, after returning from breaks, and touching contaminated surfaces.
  • Wash your hands with soap after going to the toilet.
  • Use disposable tissues and dispose of them safely.
  • Cover cuts and wounds with proper dressings and band-aids.


  • Cough or sneeze without covering your mouth and nose with a tissue.
  • Spit anywhere but in the toilet.
  • Come to work with a fever, COVID symptoms, or gastro.
  • Wear uniforms and work attire that have not been freshly laundered.

Ready to Get Back to Work?

If you don’t already have an RSA and RCG competency card browse our upcoming course dates for NSW hospitality workers. Vigil Training College is an NSW government approved training provider for RSA and RSG and will issue your interim certificate within 24 hours (next working day) of completing your course.

NSW Master License No
410 519 198
Getting Back to Work in NSW Hospitality
Level 2, 12-14 Wentworth St, 
Parramatta NSW 2150
1800 97 97 66
Getting Back to Work in NSW HospitalityGetting Back to Work in NSW Hospitality
© Copyright Vigil Training College All Rights Reserved.
Designed and Developed by iVersion