RSA - NSW Responsible Service of Alcohol Training Course
Qualify to Apply RSA Competency Card
Who should undertake the RSA Training Course?
SITHFAB002 Provide responsible service of alcohol
RSA training program is suitable for you if you are seeking or preparing to work in any industry where alcohol is sold or served. These can include hotels, restaurants, bottle shops or licenced clubs. You will need to undertake this course if you have contact with patrons on licensed premises. Some professions that require RSA are bar staff, courtesy and security staff, waiters, concierge, front door and reception staff.
The RSA training aims to provide you with knowledge and understanding required to responsibly act when selling, supplying, or promoting alcohol. By undertaking this course you will understand the duty of care by law and principles of harm minimisation.
Why should I choose Vigil Training College for my RSA Course qualification?
Vigil Training College is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) established for seven years and we have successfully assisted over 10000 students obtain their qualifications. You can be confident that the training you receive will delivered at the highest quality, as our trainers are highly experienced and have current industry kills and knowledge.
The RSA offered through Vigil is a nationally recognised training program that meets the requirements of SITHFAB002 Provide responsible service of alcohol and Liquor and Gaming NSW (L&G NSW) RSA course. This unit of competency is nationally recognised and accredited by the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA).
RSA Course Pre-Requisites
There are no formal pre-requisites or formal education requirements. However, you should have adequate literacy and numeracy (LLN) skills enabling you to read:
- Any documents such as ID cards, proof of age cards, driver licence, statutory signage, warning signs, and wording within advertising; and
- Any regulatory and advisory information written in plain English issued by local, or state, and territory liquor licensing authorities.
You must be 18 years or above to enrol in this course.
RSA Course Structure
This course is delivered face-to-face in class over six (6) hours (exclusive of breaks).
Mode of Delivery
The training program is delivered face-to-face in a classroom setting, typically at a Vigil Training College arranged venue or at the client’s venue.
People requiring special facilities at our training venues are advised to mention their requirements in the enrolment form or contact administration staff prior to the commencement of the course to ensure that their needs are catered for. These needs may range from access, dietary or changes to training methods.
It needs to be aware that the additional certificates once provided by the Department no longer issued in NSW. The Department now only offer an Interim Certificate through their approved RTO's.
Interim Certificate allows a graduate to immediately work for up to 90 days in the roles that require Photo Competency Card and provides sufficient time for a graduate to apply and obtain it.
The course will cover a range of topics, including:
- NSW Liquor Act and Regulations related to the sale and supply of alcohol.
- Roles and responsibility of the regulatory bodies, licensees and employees.
- Assessing and preventing intoxication, assisting customers in drinking within limits and refusing service to affected customers.
- Liquor harm minimisation strategies for the welfare of the community.
- Minors, ID check verifications
- House policies, compliance and penalties.
Upon completion of the course, you will receive:
- Statement of Attainment (SOA) certificate for the nationally recognised unit of competency SITHFAB002 Provide responsible service of alcohol; and
- RSA Interim Certificate provided by Liquor and Gaming NSW
You will generally receive the Interim Certificate and Statement of Attainment (SOA) next working day from the date of completion via email.
How do I apply for the RSA Competency Card?
Upon receiving your RSA interim Certificate from Vigil (valid for 90 days), you will need to apply for your Photo Competency Card by visiting Service NSW. To do so, you will need:
- Valid hundred (100) points of photo ID
- The Interim Certificate
- Application form found at Service NSW.
For more details about the Competency Card and 100 points of Photo ID, check the L&G NSW website or contact Vigil Training College.
What is the RSA Bridging course?
RSA Bridging course is available for students who have already gained their RSA competencies through:
- an RSA certificate or refresher certificate received from Victoria or Australian Capital Territory (ACT) within the last three (3) years; or
- a nationally recognised SOA from Northern Territory, South Australia, Western Australia, Queensland, or Tasmania issued within the previous five (5) years.
RSA Bridging course is quicker, easier and cheaper for qualified interstate workers to achieve NSW RSA Competencies. The RSA Bridging course is only run online by the Department (L&G NSW).