Online RSA Training Course - NSW

RSA Online - NSW Responsible Service of Alcohol Course

Qualify to Apply for your NSW RSA Competency Card – Study Online at your own pace!

Course Fee

Enrol Now

Study Now Pay Later

Learn More
Online RSA Training Course - NSW
Study Online at your own pace
Next Day Certificate & Interim Competency Card
Quality In-class Training Guaranteed


Study with us and take advantage of our free recruitment services.

Course Overview

SITHFAB021 Provide responsible service of alcohol

The RSA training aims to provide you with knowledge and understanding required to responsibly act when selling, supplying, or promoting alcohol. By undertaking this course, you will understand the duty of care by law and principles of harm minimisation.

Follow the 4 simple steps below to obtain your NSW RSA Competency Card:

Enrol Now
Complete your Online Learning & Assessments.
Receive your Certificate & Interim Competency Card
Visit Service NSW to Obtain a Physical Competency Card

Course Delivery & Duration

Delivery Method:

This course is delivered online, and you can study at your own pace.

Upon enrolment, you will be issued your Login details to our Online Learning Portal. This portal will contain your online course and your online assessments.


You can complete this course in one sitting or complete it at your own pace (max. of 4 weeks). If students require an extension, speak to our Student Support Team.

Entry Requirements

There are no formal pre-requisites or formal education requirements for this course.

However, students must meet the following criteria:

  • You must be at least 18 years old; and
  • An adequate level of literacy and numeracy (LLN) skills; and
  • DO NOT currently hold an RSA Competency Card or a card expired over the last 90 days; and
  • Have basic computer skills; and
  • Have a Photo ID*; and 
  • Have the resources required (see list below).

*You must have a physical Photo ID, such as Driver's Licence or Passport. An International Photo ID is acceptable.

Resources Required:

Students enrolling in this course must have access to the following resources:

  • Laptop/Computer
  • Internet
  • Acrobat Reader
  • Photo, audio, and video recording equipment (e.g., phone, camera, etc.)
  • Volunteers to assist with role-play tasks

Learning Outcomes

Upon successful completion of this course, you receive the following:

  • Statement of Attainment (SOA) certificate for the nationally recognised unit of competency SITHFAB021 Provide responsible service of alcohol; and
  • RSA Interim Certificate provided by Liquor and Gaming NSW

You will generally receive the Interim Certificate and Statement of Attainment (SOA) next working day from the date of completion via email.

Interim RSA Certificate:

Upon successful completion, students will also be issued with the Interim NSW RSA Certificate. This Interim certificate will allow you to immediately work for up to 90 days in the roles that require Photo Competency Card and provides you with sufficient time for to apply and obtain the NSW Competency Card from Service NSW.

What will you learn in this course?

The course will cover a range of topics, including:

  • NSW Liquor Act and Regulations related to the sale and supply of alcohol.
  • Roles and responsibility of the regulatory bodies, licensees, and employees.
  • Assessing and preventing intoxication, assisting customers in drinking within limits and refusing service to affected customers.
  • Liquor harm minimisation strategies for the welfare of the community.
  • Minors, ID check verifications

House policies, compliance, and penalties.

Who Should Enrol for this Course

If you are looking to obtain your NSW RSA Competency Card, then this course is for you!

RSA training program is suitable for you if you are seeking or preparing to work in any industry where alcohol is sold or served. These can include hotels, restaurants, bottle shops or licenced clubs.  You will need to undertake this course if you have contact with patrons on licensed premises. Some professions that require RSA certification are bar staff, courtesy and security staff, waiters, concierge, front door, and reception staff.

RSA Course also provides you with a pathway into further education and students may gain a credit transfer into courses from the Hospitality Training Package.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Q: My RSA Competency Card is expired. Do I need to do this course?

A: If your RSA Competency Card is expired, you do not need to do this course. Read more information about the L&G Refresher Course.

Q: What is the Liquor & Gaming NSW (L&G) Refresher Training Course?

A: You will be required to do the RSA Refresher Course to renew your current RSA Competency Card, or a card that was expired in the last 90 days. This course is done through L&G NSW.

Q: How do I apply for the RSA Competency Card?

A: Upon receiving your RSA interim Certificate from Vigil (valid for 90 days), you will need to apply for your Photo Competency Card by visiting Service NSW. To do so, you will need your valid hundred (100) points of photo ID, the Interim Certificate, application form found at Service NSW. For more details about the RSA Competency Card and 100 points of Photo ID, check the L&G NSW website or contact Vigil Training College.

Q: How long is my RSA Competency Card valid for?

A: Your RSA Competency Card is valid for five (5) years only. If you want to retain your RSA competency, you must complete the RSA refresher online training course offered by the Department (L&G NSW).

Q: What is the RSA Bridging Course?

A: RSA Bridging course is available for students who have already gained their RSA competencies through:

  1. an RSA certificate or refresher certificate received from Victoria or Australian Capital Territory (ACT) within the last three (3) years; or
  2. a nationally recognised SOA from Northern Territory, South Australia, Western Australia, Queensland, or Tasmania issued within the previous five (5) years.

RSA Bridging course is quicker, easier and cheaper for qualified interstate workers to achieve NSW RSA Competencies. The RSA Bridging course is only run online by the Department (L&G NSW).

Q: I have an RSA Card from another state. Do I need to do this course?

A: No, read RSA Bridging Course information above.

Related Courses

  • NSW Advanced RCG Course

    NSW Advanced RCG Course

    Learn More
    NSW Traffic Controller Course

    NSW Traffic Controller Course

    Learn More
    Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)

    Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)

    Learn More
  • Certificate III in Individual Support (Ageing, Home and Community) – Online

    Certificate III in Individual Support (Ageing, Home and Community) – Online

    Learn More
    Certificate III in Individual Support (Ageing, Home and Community) – Classroom

    Certificate III in Individual Support (Ageing, Home and Community) – Classroom

    Learn More
    Certificate III in Individual Support (Ageing, Disability, Home and Community) – Classroom

    Certificate III in Individual Support (Ageing, Disability, Home and Community) – Classroom

    Learn More
NSW Master License No
410 519 198
Vigil Training College
Level 2, 12-14 Wentworth St, 
Parramatta NSW 2150
1800 97 97 66
Asial logodrinks association
© Copyright Vigil Training College All Rights Reserved.
Designed and Developed by iVersion