Responsible service of alcohol (RSA)
SITHFAB201 Provide Responsible Service of Alcohol
Vigil Training College offers a Nationally Recognised training program that meets the requirements of SITHFAB201 Provide Responsible service of alcohol, and the NSW Office of Liquor Racing and Gaming (OLGR). The course is known as Responsible Service of Alcohol or RSA.
The training program is designed for people who are seeking to or preparing to work in the hospitality industry where alcohol is sold or served, such as most hotels, restaurants, bottle shops or licenced clubs. The RSA course is relevant to anyone who has contact with patrons on licensed premises, such as bar staff, courtesy and security staff, waiters, concierge, front door and reception staff
There is no formal qualification required for this course, however, we offer this training programme to the learner of 18 years and over.
Language Literacy and Numeracy:
All training and assessment are conducted in English, and the training package mandates that all participants seeking admission in the course have sufficient literacy and numeracy skills:
- literacy skills to read and comprehend documents such as ID cards, proof of age cards, driver’s licences, statutory signage, warning signs and wording within advertising or promotional material, in-house policies and procedures and any general plain English regulatory and advisory information issued by local, or state and territory liquor licensing authorities
- Numeracy skills to measure and calculate standard drinks or samples and calculate blood alcohol levels as they relate to alcohol consumption.
We will attempt to support you with some assistance with English, such as providing verbal assessments in English, however, should your needs for support or assistance exceed our skills; we will refer you to a suitable organisation to assist you further this may be TAFE.
Course Duration & Mode of Delivery:
The training program is delivered face to face entirely in a classroom setting, typically at a Vigil Training College arranged the venue, or at client venue. The duration, of course, is at least 6.0 hours.
- The course covers the following:
- Describing and understanding responsible service of alcohol
- The legal provisions of the Liquor Act and Registered Clubs Act which relate to RSA
- Advising customers on the types of alcoholic beverages
- Describing and understanding a ‘standard drink’
- Recognising levels of intoxication of customers and take appropriate action
- Strategies to assist customers’ to drink responsibly
- Strategies to prevent underage drinking
- Factors which detract from customer satisfaction
- Benefits of implementing responsible service of alcohol
Participants are assessed using underpinning knowledge and skills through a written short question and answer knowledge based assessment, role play, case studies and problem-solving activities
After the successful completion of the course the students will receive:
- A Statement of Attainment in the unit SITHFAB201 Provide Responsible service of alcohol issued by Vigil Training College; and
- An Interim Certificate provided by Office of Liquor Racing and Gaming (OLGR) to be issued by Vigil Training College.
Please note the interim certificate allows a course graduate to immediately work for up to 90 days in roles that require this competency and provides sufficient time for a graduate to apply and obtain their Photo Competency Card.
Photo Competency Card
Once students obtained their interim certificate they need to apply to obtain Photo Competency Card from OLGR by visiting participating Australian Post outlet and have it processed and mailed to them. Students need to take with them a valid hundred points photo ID and their interim certificate while applying for Photo Competency Card.
People seeking a replacement Photo Competency Card will need to contact the Office of Liquor Racing and Gaming (OLGR).
For more details about Photo Competency Card and 100 points Photo ID check the OLGR website at http://www.olgr.nsw.gov.au/photocard_student.asp or contact Vigil Training College.
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)
Vigil Training College offers RPL in SITHFAB201 Provide Responsible service of alcohol (RSA) course. Candidates seeking the RPL of this course please see details into the Students Handbook about the RPL process.
The unit of competency in this course (SITHFAB201 Provide Responsible service of alcohol) is a requirement of all Hospitality courses involving the service of alcohol and as such allows for credit transfer into those courses.
Fees and Charges:
The fee for this course is free of GST. All discounts and special rates apply as published on our website. For discounts and special offers Click Here.
What to Bring on the day of Class
Please bring 100 points Photo ID on the day of class. For more details about 100 points Photo ID check the OLGR website at http://www.olgr.nsw.gov.au/photocard_student.asp or contact Vigil Training College
How to Enrol
You can enrol into our courses
Online Enrolment: You can enrol and pay online. Visit our website www.vigiltrainingcollege.nsw.edu.au and follow the enrolment procedure.
Phone/ Fax/Email: Call us on PH: 0420844453 or 02 8677 9062 to obtain the course information pack or alternatively download the information pack from our website. Fill the form and send back to us along with all the relevant documents through email/fax/post or drop in to submit it.
For further information or Assistance
Please contact Vigil Training College