Responsible service of alcohol (RSA)

SITHFAB002 Provide Responsible Service of Alcohol

 What is Responsible service of Alcohol (RSA) Course?

Vigil Training College offers a Nationally Recognised training program that meets the requirements of SITHFAB002 Provide responsible service of alcohol, and the Liquor & Gaming NSW. The course is known as Responsible Service of alcohol or RSA.

 Who requires to do RSA training?

The training program is designed for people who are seeking to or preparing to work in the hospitality industry where alcohol is sold or served, such as most hotels, restaurants, bottle shops or licenced clubs. The RSA course is relevant to anyone who has contact with patrons on licensed premises, such as bar staff, courtesy and security staff, waiters, concierge, front door and reception staff

What are prerequisites for joining the RSA training course?

There is no formal qualification required for this course, however, we offer this training programme for the learner of 18 years and over.

Note: We are not CRICOS registered and do not enrol International Students Visa Holders in this course.

What are Language Literacy and Numeracy requirements for RSA Course?

All training and assessment are conducted in English, and the training package mandates that all participants seeking admission in the course have sufficient literacy and numeracy skills:

  • literacy skills to read and comprehend documents such as ID cards, proof of age cards, driver’s licences, statutory signage, warning signs and wording within advertising or promotional material, in-house policies and procedures and any general plain English regulatory and advisory information issued by local, or state and territory liquor licensing authorities
  • Numeracy skills to measure and calculate standard drinks or samples and calculate blood alcohol levels as they relate to alcohol consumption.

We will attempt to support you with some assistance with English, such as providing verbal assessments in English, however, should your needs for support or assistance exceed our skills; we will refer you to a suitable organisation to assist you further this may be TAFE.

What is the duration & mode of delivery for the RSA course?

The training program is delivered face to face entirely in a classroom setting, typically at a Vigil Training College arranged the venue, or at client venue. The duration of this course is at least 6.0 hours.

What will be the contents of RSA Course?

The course covers the following:

  • Describing and understanding the responsible service of alcohol
  • The legal provisions of RSA within the Liquor Act and Registered Clubs Act
  • Advising customers on the types of alcoholic beverages
  • Describing and understanding a ‘standard drink’
  • Recognising levels of intoxication of customers and take appropriate action
  • Strategies to assist customers’ to drink responsibly
  • Strategies to prevent underage drinking
  • Factors which detract from customer satisfaction
  • Benefits of implementing responsible service of alcohol

What will be the assessment methods?

Participants are assessed using underpinning knowledge and skills through a written short question and answer knowledge-based assessment, role play, case studies and problem-solving activities

What is ‘Photo Competency Card’ and how to get it?

Once students obtained their interim certificate they need to apply to obtain Photo Competency Card from OLGR by visiting NSW services outlet and have it processed and mailed to them. Students need to take with them a valid hundred points photo ID and their interim certificate while applying for Photo Competency Card.

People seeking a replacement Photo Competency Card will need to contact the Liquor & Gaming NSW.

For more details about Photo Competency Card and 100 points Photo ID check the Liquor & Gaming NSW website at or contact Vigil Training College.

Can I get Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)?

Vigil Training College offers RPL in SITHFAB002 Provide responsible service of alcohol (RSA) course. Candidates seeking the RPL of this course please see details into the Students Handbook about the RPL process.

What will be qualification pathways after RSA course?

The unit of competency in this course (SITHFAB002 Provide responsible service of alcohol) is a requirement of all Hospitality courses involving the service of alcohol and as such allows for credit transfer into those courses.

What are the fee and other charges for the RSA course?

The course is free of GST and includes material fee and $86 fee for the competency card. All discounts and special rates apply as published on our website. The full fee of the course should be paid in advance. For discounts and special offers Click Here.

What do I need to bring on the day of training?

Please bring 100 points Photo ID on the day of class. For more details about 100 points Photo ID check the OLGR website at or contact Vigil Training College.

What units of competency will I gain after the completion of the RSA course?

After the successful completion of the course the students will receive:

  • A Statement of attainment in the unit SITHFAB002 Provide responsible service of alcohol issued by Vigil Training College; and
  • An Interim Certificate provided by Liquor & Gaming NSW to be issued by Vigil Training College.

Please note the interim certificate allows a course graduate to immediately work for up to 90 days in roles that require this competency and provides sufficient time for a graduate to apply and obtain their Photo Competency Card.

How can I enrol in RSA Training course?

You can enrol in our courses

Online Enrolment: You can enrol and pay online. Visit our website and follow the enrolment procedure.

Phone/ Fax/Email: Call us at PH: 0423521279 or 02 8677 9062 to obtain the course information pack or alternatively download the information pack from our website. Fill the form and send back to us along with all the relevant documents through email/fax/post or drop in to submit it.

For further information or Assistance Please Contact Vigil Training College

Note: We are not CRICOS registered and do not enrol International Students Visa Holders in this course.

Course Information Brochure

Students Handbook

Enrolment Form

Enrol Now