[CPP20218 Cert II in Security Operations]
This course is a mandatory requirement for all new entrants to the ACT Security Industry.
The course is suitable for people looking to obtain their ACT Class 1AC Security Licence and to work as a Security Officer. These security officer roles can include static guarding, patrolling, loss prevention, and crowd controllers.
ACT Security Class 1A Unarmed Guards: holders of this license class can perform various security officer duties, such as static, mobile patrol, watch and protect property, loss prevention including cash in transit without a guard dog or firearm.
ACT Security Licence Class 1C Crowd Controller: holders of this license can perform the duties of a crowd controller on licensed premises, keeping order at a public place by screening the entry of people, monitoring or controlling the behaviour of people or removing people from the place.
Pre-requisites required for ACT Security Licensing Course
There are no formal educational requirements for this program.
Language, Literacy and Numeracy Assessment Requirement
You will be required to undertake English Language, Literacy and Numeracy (LLN) test, prior to course commencement on the first day of the course.
If you fail to meet the minimum LLN skills required to undertake this course, you will be referred to an external provider to help with your LLN skills. You may re-sit the LLN test with us at any time without any cost to you. A full refund is available if you have enrolled and made payment, however, have failed to meet the LLN requirements.
First Aid Requirement
A current first aid certificate is mandatory to apply for ACT Security Licence. The unit of competency HLTAID003 Provide First Aid (First Aid) is a core unit of the qualification in CPP20212 Certificate II in Security operations.
We offer First Aid Training in other training programs at Vigil. The students completing First Aid training with us will automatically receive a credit transfer.
Students who already completed this training from another RTO can apply to obtain credit transfer in this unit. To obtain credit transfer see: detailed Credit Transfer Policy in Student Handbook.
Course Duration and Method of Delivery:
The course is delivered as a blended program, which requires 2 weeks of classroom-based study and one of week self-study.
- First week – Classroom (Monday – Friday daily 8 am to 5 pm, including 1-hour break).
- Second Week: Self-Study.
- Third Week – Classroom (Monday – Friday daily 8 am to 5 pm, including 1-hour break).
The aim of the self-study is to provide you with a better understanding of the course. On completion of your enrolment, you will receive course material and workbook. These workbooks must be completed prior to attending the second week of classroom-based sessions.
You will be assessed through a range of assessment methods including knowledge-based quizzes, case studies, report-writing, role-plays assessments throughout the course.
Upon Completion of Course
Awards & Competencies
Upon successfully completing the course, you will be awarded thirteen units of competency. Along with the completion of HLTAID003 Provide First Aid, you will be awarded a total of 14 competencies for your qualification in CPP20218 Cert II in Security Operations.
- CPPSEC2102 – Apply legal and procedural requirements to work effectively within a security team
- CPPSEC2103 – Apply WHS, emergency response and evacuation procedures to maintain security
- CPPSEC2104 – Apply risk assessment to select and carry out response to security risk situations
- CPPSEC2107 – Patrol premises to monitor property and maintain security
- CPPSEC2109 – Monitor and control access and exit of persons and vehicles from premises
- CPPSEC2108 – Screen people, personal effects and items to maintain security
- CPPSEC2106 – Protect self and others using basic defensive techniques
- CPPSEC2101 – Apply effective communication skills to maintain security
- CPPSEC2110 – Monitor and control individual and crowd behaviour to maintain security
- CPPSEC2111 – Apply security procedures to manage intoxicated persons
- CPPSEC2112 – Apply security procedures to remove persons from premises
- CPPSEC2113 – Escort and protect persons and valuables
- CPPSEC2105 – Provide quality services to a range of security clients
Receiving your certificate
Students will receive their certificate within ten (10) business days from the date of completion of the course via express post.
Recognition of Prior Learning
Vigil Training College offers RPL in CPP20218 Certificate II in Security operations course. Candidates seeking the RPL in this course please see details into the Students Handbook about the RPL process.
Credit Transfer Policy
Credit transfer is permitted if a student has attained the unit/s of competency from another registered training organization. Please see the policy in the student handbook.
The learning and assessment hours of each cluster must be completed, to attain competency in that cluster. Students must complete all the four clusters mentioned above.
100% attendance is required, any students absent from the course will require missing time to be made up at a future course, thereby delaying issuance of qualification or statement of attainment and procurement of a security licence.
ACT Security Licence Requirements
ACT Security Licence application may be lodged online or by mail, email, fax or in person to Access Canberra Service Centres located in Belconnen, Gungahlin, Tuggeranong or Woden by completing the relevant application form and paying the prescribed fee.
The new applicant of the ACT Security Licence Class 1AC (the Applicant) must:
- Provide a fingerprint-verified Police Certificate, or, if a fingerprint-verified police check was previously provided to Access Canberra, a name only Police Certificate from the Australian Federal Police, an Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission (ACIC) agency or a State Police force issued not more than 2 months before the application is made; and
- Evidence of completed Certificate II in Security Operations; and
- Evidence of your current First Aid Certificate; and
- Certificate from an employee organisation stating that you have attended a workplace information session as required by Regulation; and
- One primary and one secondary identity.
If the applicant resides more than 100 kilometres from the ACT border then the applicant needs to provide a declaration completed by the employer to endorse your application.
Applicants lodging by mail, email or fax must attend one of the Service Centres listed above to have their photo and signature taken.
The Security Industry Act 2003 (the Act) prevents persons who have committed certain offences from obtaining a security licence. The exclusionary provisions apply if the applicant have been convicted in the last ten years, or found guilty in the last five years for certain offences involving assault, violence against another person, dishonesty or theft, relating to the possession, storage or use of a firearm or other weapon, involving robbery, Terrorism etc.
In deciding an application for a security licence, the Commissioner for Fair Trading is authorised to consider information provided by the Chief Police Officer relating to actual or suspected criminal activity.
Further details can be checked by visiting Access Canberra website.
- Security officer – unarmed guard
- Security officer – crowd controller
- Armed guard
- Close Personal Protection
- Control room operations
- Guard Dog Handling
You must dress in smart casual attire and maintain good personal hygiene, throughout the course.
The course assesses your overall dress and presentation, while performing role-plays, as per the standards required by the security industry.
Fees and Charges
The fee for Class 1AC Security Licensing Course (ACT) is $1395 per participant.
It is the best practice to check our website for updated pricing and for any discounts and special rates that may apply.
For Dates and Location
Check course calendar at our website or contact our office.
See detailed Fee Refund Policy in the Students Handbook
Evidence of Identity requirements
100 points of original Photo ID is required to get ACT Security Licence.
How to Enrol:
You can enrol in any of the following ways:
You can enrol and pay online. Visit our website and follow the enrolment procedure.
Call us on 0423 512 279 or 02 8677 9062 to discuss the enrolment steps.
For further information or Assistance:
Please contact Vigil Training College at:
PH: 1800 97 97 66
Address: Level – 2 Suite – 23, 50 Benjamin Way, Belconnen, ACT, 2617
Note: We do not offer this course to international student visa holders.
ACT Security M/L No: 17502681